device IP on tagged vlan

dcox

device IP on tagged vlan

Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:07 pm

Is there any way to have the "device IP" under the configuration tab to participate as a tagged vlan?

I understand that IPs can be added under the VLAN tab, but these are non-routable.
I was looking to see if the "device IP" native vlan could be changed?

Thanks,
Duane

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: device IP on tagged vlan

Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:36 pm

The default VLAN (the one at the top that can not be deleted) is the VLAN the switch UI/CLI responds to. That is why you can not delete it as it is the management VLAN.

By default they are all U so the UI/CLI respond to Untagged packets on those ports since they all have Us on all the ports.

If you changed the default VLAN from 1 to say 100 and put a T on all the ports on that default/management VLAN then the switch would respond to VLAN Tag 100 only on those ports with Ts on them in that VLAN.

The ability to add IPs to the VLANs is more for allowing the switch to ping a device on that VLAN without needing to go to a router first for watchdog purposes. Yes you can access the UI as well from those IPs but that is not the primary function.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

dcox

Re: device IP on tagged vlan

Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:17 pm

Thanks, I will try this. It looks like what I need.

Return to General Discussion