SNMP CPU Usage

DOWNLOAD THE LATEST FIRMWARE HERE
grspotter

SNMP CPU Usage

Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:23 am

What OID should be used to get the CPU Usage like in the stats page of the switch?

I feel like the answer is simple. I'm not a noob, but it has baffled me for most of the day. Thanks.
Attachments
NetonixCapture.JPG

Eric Stern
Employee
Employee

Re: SNMP CPU Usage

Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:53 pm

You can't get that number directly from SNMP, but you can get something close by adding ssCpuSystem and ssCpuUser together. Or start with 100 and subtract ssCpuIdle.

grspotter

Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:07 pm

Thank you for the response. I will see if I can implement that in my NMS. I was hoping it wasn't something too obvious that I was missing.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:08 pm

grspotter wrote:Thank you for the response. I will see if I can implement that in my NMS. I was hoping it wasn't something too obvious that I was missing.

You do realize that the CPU useage has nothing to do with the switch's capacity or load?

The embedded CPU is only to run the UI/CLI and some daemons and has nothing to do with switching capacity or load.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

grspotter

Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:21 pm

Wow! Thanks again. I did not realize that and it's exactly what I was wanting to monitor. Is there a way to get that info?

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:44 pm

grspotter wrote:Wow! Thanks again. I did not realize that and it's exactly what I was wanting to monitor. Is there a way to get that info?

The switch like most switches uses a "switch core" the switch core handles all packet forwarding and most all if not all switch cores are designed to handle full line speed on all ports at the same time.

This is stated on our and most other manufacturers spec sheet as non-blocking line speed. Switch cores do not use a single CPU but rather MANY little dedicated CPU's. A single CPU switch would be what is called a "soft switch" which is more like turning a linux box with many ports into a switch with software.

The switch core code is all built into the switch core and we do not mess with that.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

Return to Hardware and software issues