VLANS

DOWNLOAD THE LATEST FIRMWARE HERE
adairw
Associate
Associate

VLANS

Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:56 pm

I have a WS-12-250A running v1.0.2rc5 sitting here that I have been playing with for about two hours. It's making me feel stupid. I've very familiar with VLAN's in general but especially when it comes to Mikrotik & Ubiquiti.

I have three routerboards plugged in to the WS. If I setup tagged VLAN100 on one of them that's connected to port 1 of the WS I can't get another RB with VLAN 100 tagged on it, that's on port 3 the WS to pass traffic/ping
If I plug a cable directly in to the RB's, taking the WS out of the picture, it works fine. No amount of various tagging and untagging of the ports will get them to pass the tagged frames.
I am assuming the WS works exactly like the toughswitch in that any tagged port has to be listed as "T" to pass or it will be dropped.

As I missing something crazy simple or is this thing broke?

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: VLANS

Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:03 am

Maybe give a diagram and a VLAN screen grab

You are not providing enough information to determine if you are missing something or this thing is broke!

You might also read a post I made in this thread on VLANs
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=273
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

adairw
Associate
Associate

Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:45 am

I just have mikrotik routers with two tagged vlans plugged in to two ports of the WS.
See the attached screen shots.
If I plug the cable in between each other, they work fine, but not with the switch in line.
Attachments
tik vlan.PNG
tik vlan.PNG (13.61 KiB) Viewed 5994 times
ws vlan.PNG
ws vlan.PNG (24.98 KiB) Viewed 5994 times

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:03 pm

What is plugged into port 6 since it is excluded from the management VLAN where the switch IP address resides and excluded from VLAN 100 which means the port is isolated from everything.

You might want to "ENABLE" VLAN 100 by checking the little box to the left!
duh.png
duh.png (27.75 KiB) Viewed 5986 times

Also make sure your MTU for these ports is set to 1522

With the added 802.1Q tag the maximum frame size is 1522 bytes and as such would be seen as corrupt by all default configured switches and network adapters with the default MTU of 1518. To avoid tagged frames from being silently dropped at some point the network administrator must carefully make sure that switch ports where tagged frames might arrive is prepared for the larger frames and does allow processing of the 802.1Q vlan tag with an MTU of 1522 or larger.

I would not enable JUMBO frames on a wireless network.

Hope this helps!
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

adairw
Associate
Associate

Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:34 pm

Doh! It was the fact that I didn't have the check box to enable the VLAN. I knew it was something stupid easy! At one one I had it checked but I don't think I ever clicked save or apply.. grr..
I had increased the MTU of the ports already. Port six has a rocket ac plugged in to it and powered up that I was just playing around with.

Return to Hardware and software issues