WS-12-250-DC Segmentation fault

DOWNLOAD THE LATEST FIRMWARE HERE
sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: WS-12-250-DC Segmentation fault

Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:38 pm

wirelessblue wrote:I have had this same Segmentation fault problem on two units. One is a WS-12-250A that happened several weeks ago and one is a WS-8-250-AC that happened at 4:30am this morning after I changed a Flow Control setting on a WS-6-MINI attached to it. Both are more than a year old and I now have both on my bench. After the hard reset (30 second...), they come back normally. Can this modification be done via RMA? I am happy to pay for it if need be as well.

We add the MODs to all RMAs as a standard practice.

But these MODs have nothing to do with a segmentation fault.

The segmentation fault was caused by corrupt config after importing a config from an older revision model or a model with differnt POE options per port.

He factory defaulted his unit and set it up manually and he was fine.

Maybe a factory default and manually set back up?

But yes you can RMA your unit in for a checkup. The MODs will be applied free you just pay return shipping unless we do find something wrong when we test it out.

Also make sure you are running v1.4.6 or the latest RC version preferably.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

wirelessblue

Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:32 pm

Neither unit has ever had a config restored to it. The WS-12-250A was running 1.4.5rc something and the upgrade to 1.4.6 ended in the segmentation fault. The WS-8-250-AC had already been upgraded to 1.4.6 several weeks ago. I took the WS-12-250A to a different tower site to replace another switch and had a similar issue. I will see if it is the segmentation fault again. I haven't had a chance to test that one out yet now that it happened again. The WS-8-250-AC did come back fine after a factory default.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:37 pm

wirelessblue wrote:Neither unit has ever had a config restored to it. The WS-12-250A was running 1.4.5rc something and the upgrade to 1.4.6 ended in the segmentation fault. The WS-8-250-AC had already been upgraded to 1.4.6 several weeks ago. I took the WS-12-250A to a different tower site to replace another switch and had a similar issue. I will see if it is the segmentation fault again. I haven't had a chance to test that one out yet now that it happened again. The WS-8-250-AC did come back fine after a factory default.

So if after upgrading to latest version and possibly defaulting and setting back up the segmentation faults continue then I would RMA.

The factory default I would preform is the one where you hold the default button in when you apply power for 20-30 seconds.

There is a good post here to read why: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=409

But if the flash has a bad block it needs to be reformatted to clear it an a UI default will not do this, it only erases the file where as the default button on power up reformats the flash partition but this process also takes several minutes so let it set while it does this.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

wirelessblue

Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:40 pm

I followed that very post to do the reset and did the reformat of the JFFS2 filesystem (hold down reset for 10 seconds while powering on) for both switches. Both came back just fine so I will do more testing. I was not able to access the console with the WS-12-250A at all for some reason even after the reformat. The WS-8-250-AC showed up fine for serial console use though. I might send them in to be checked out just in case but I will do more testing first. I may repurpose these to other less critical duties for now since I am replacing my AC switches with WS-8-150-DC, WS-12-DC, and WS-12-250-DC switches anyway. Thanks again.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:04 pm

Well it always pays to send in switches for RMA even when out of warranty.

We will continue to repair switches so long as we can get parts.

Unless both the power supply and board is fried it makes sense to RMA and repair as it is usually half the cost of a new one sometimes even less.

And we always apply the latest hardware MODs / improvements for free.

We are gong to create a Repair service that is a FULL CHeckup and apply latest hardware mods for $25.00.

That way people can send a switch in for a checkup and I think we will then give a 6 month warranty on the switch even if the original warranty has lapsed.

tma
Experienced Member

Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:04 am

sirhc wrote:I will post up more pictures showing the MODs to all other models tomorrow.

Looking for the WS-24-400 rework instructions before deploying next switches ... Chris, did you post them?
--
Thomas Giger

Julian

Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:59 am

I checked chris's post over at
http://forum.netonix.com/viewtopic.php? ... MOD#p17448 , looked like he hadn't gotten to the 24-400s yet.

For the 24-400A: First point of modification is to the right of the 2-gang SFP stack on the left hand side of the board with the ports facing you. The component to replace is marked C73.
Note the power LED and reset button for direction if you get lost.

24-400aC73.png

The second point of modification is to the right of the 4-gang SFP stack on the right hand side of the board with the ports facing you. It is near the edge of the board. The component to replace is marked C74.
24-400aC74.png

For the 24-400B, the rework locations are the same, as well.

tma
Experienced Member

Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:22 pm

Thanks a lot! You didn't mention what to do, but from the other rework instructions I guess we should put a short instead of C73 and C74, and these caps may be missing in hardware revisions before F.

I appreciate your plans for a repair service as well, but I guess shipping cost (and time and customs hassle) from and back to Europe spoils the idea somewhat ...
--
Thomas Giger

Julian

Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:51 pm

Yes, you're absolutely correct on both counts, I posted that rather early this morning, and wasn't firing on all cylinders quite yet.

discussions on establishing service centers as such regionally have been had, it's my belief that there is some momentum towards that end, but I'm by no means involved with executive matters, so this is just a bystander's point of view.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:09 am

tma wrote:I appreciate your plans for a repair service as well, but I guess shipping cost (and time and customs hassle) from and back to Europe spoils the idea somewhat ...

Well it is not really a "repair" service as there is nothing broken just a change in design because too many people do not do grounding properly and we found that the switch will survive poor grounding environments better with the DC negative bonded to the AC Earth Ground.

But yes we will add the MODs for people who do not have the tools or skill set to perform the task. Working on the logistics and how to implement the program. We might have something on the web store in the near future.

PreviousNext
Return to Hardware and software issues