Setting Management Vlan?

DOWNLOAD THE LATEST FIRMWARE HERE
josh
Associate
Associate

Re: Setting Management Vlan?

Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:41 pm

Since I accidentally closed the tab when switching to another page, lemmie try this response again...

I think what Matt is talking about is the toughswitch equivalent of "tag all configured vlans and send them out this port", which is the Cisco status equivalent of "Trunking VLANs Enabled: ALL". (Not QinQ, although QinQ is very important for us to have, as it is the only way to provide a fully transparent tunnel to commercial customers without running MPLS, or IP-IP/GRE/EoIP/etc tunnels.)

mhoppes
Associate
Associate

Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:48 pm

Not sure why I can't thank anyone any more, but yes, Josh, that's exactly what I'm talking about.

Yes QinQ will be needed by next year for some projects I'm working on, but isn't the scope of this discussion.

So on a carrier network I might have 25 VLANs or more going across a backhaul link. Sure, I can go tag...tag....tag...tag...tag...tag... and add every VLAN, but it's easier to just say... this is the trunk port "bang" and everything that goes across it gets tagged/untagged properly.

What would a routing guy know about VLANs though. ;-)

josh
Associate
Associate

Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:51 pm

On another note, I'd like an option to simply trunk all with no filtering (ie pass all vlans without them being explicitly defined). This can be dangerous, but some people can have dozens or even hundreds of vlans on their network. I'm not going to go into a whole discussion about how that is good or bad from an architectural standpoint, but I see/hear about it often enough with all of the forums and lists I'm on (and consulting I do), that I know it is a fairly important feature.

Mikrotik has an option to do this, the edgeswitch does too, and I'm sure there are many others.

mhoppes
Associate
Associate

Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:52 pm

Pirate4

iggy05

Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:15 pm

The biggest problem for our network it is all based off of the core Calix gear and Calix promotes not using vlan 1 at all. So since our whole network is based off of that thinking it is the reason why the network is what it is. I apreciate some of the other thoughts on how to handle vlans through trunking. Is actually making me rethink some on how to handle vlans being passed to to the wisp switch. Will have to do some more experementing sometime soon.

mhoppes
Associate
Associate

Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:29 pm

Yah. I normally don't use 1 either. But until this gets changed I have to.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:32 pm

iggy05 wrote:The biggest problem for our network it is all based off of the core Calix gear and Calix promotes not using vlan 1 at all. So since our whole network is based off of that thinking it is the reason why the network is what it is. I apreciate some of the other thoughts on how to handle vlans through trunking. Is actually making me rethink some on how to handle vlans being passed to to the wisp switch. Will have to do some more experementing sometime soon.

Goals for v1.2.0 - End of December
Renumber/Rename Default/Management VLAN
Fix port(s) mirror to IP
If mirror to IP is fixed then last known IP in MAC table "may" be possible

about 2 weeks guys!!!!
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

mhoppes
Associate
Associate

Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:28 pm

We know :). We aren't complaining. Just discussing.

Rory

Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:28 am

mhoppes wrote:We know :). We aren't complaining. Just discussing.

All discussion must cast everything we do in a positive light. Don't make me get the banhammer :cool:

I totally understand why folks want to reconfigure the default vlan. We made a decision to push that feature off towards the future when we were initially vetting the vlan functionality of the device. We understand the importance of this, but at the time we made this decision it was the most sane option we had.

Its on the roadmap for the very near future. Just hang in with us a little longer and this will all be in the rear-view mirror. I appreciate your understanding and patience, and we will get there. I'm more QC than management, but I don't see why configuring the default vlan's attributes, and an 'all vlans' option could not be added in the same update, or at the very least one shortly after the other. That is another feature that we had discussed and approved as per my recollection, it just takes time to implement. I don't mean to stifle the conversation, but those are both good necessary features, and we will be implementing both.

keefe007
Experienced Member

Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:04 pm

I really need transparent vlan trunking too. I don't want to have to add 100s or 1000s of vlans on every backhaul port.

PreviousNext
Return to Hardware and software issues