v1.4.4 Bug Reports and Comments

DOWNLOAD THE LATEST FIRMWARE HERE
sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: v1.4.4 Bug Reports and Comments

Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:24 pm

designweb wrote:We have had this problem for the past few versions everything beyond 1.4.2 we have had packet loss across the network, on the first switch as we come off of the fibre backhaul BT Vodafone TalkTalk in our case causes monetworkst problems of packet loss. reverting to 1.3.9 gets a stable network. We have tried a few of our networks on 1.4.4 on all of the switches and the network dies, revert the first switch after the fibre to 1.3.9 everything works well

You do realize that after v1.3.9 we added the ability to change under the ports tab the SFP module Speed Duplex?

You now have the option of 1G and Auto.

Prior to v1.4.X you were hard coded to 1G and now the default is Auto I think so when you upgraded to v1.4.X it would use Auto so try setting to 1G or vise versa.

Some SFP modules do not like one or the other setting so try both.

I suggest you try upgrading 1 switch to v1.4.4 and then try changing the SFP module Speed/Duplex

There was nothing else changed between v1.3.9 and v1.4.X that would cause what you're reporting.

If you are not using any SFP modules then I suggest you arrange for our programmer to TeamView into your computer while on the phone and have you demonstrate this so we can fix it for you.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

designweb

Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:44 pm

Thanks Chris

I did not explain that although we have fibre coming in, as it is only 100mb at these locations they hand off from their Adva box in ethernet, I wil try and arrange teamviwer when the link is not busy
Making Rural Internet a Reality

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:53 am

designweb wrote:Thanks Chris

I did not explain that although we have fibre coming in, as it is only 100mb at these locations they hand off from their Adva box in ethernet, I wil try and arrange teamviwer when the link is not busy

Eric (our programmer) would be best to do this and he will be back from vacation Thursday.

Let us know when it works for you.

Do you also have Skype?
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

hasler88

Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:28 pm

Hi Chris

i am designwebs engineer i will be at the switch in about 40 mins.

my skype is andrewhasler

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:30 pm

hasler88 wrote:Hi Chris

my skype is andrewhasler

Sadly Eric did not report back from vacation today as he was supposed to.
Hopefully tomorrow but please give us a little more lead time then 40 minutes if possible.

hasler88

Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:45 pm

no problem im available all day tomorrow i wont be near the switch tomorrow (3 hour drive) but can remote into a work station on the switch .

mtngoat

Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:34 am

I have a couple WS-8-250-DC which seem to always have higher CPU usage compared to their AC powered counterparts even though traffic is significantly less. On DC units where every watt matters, high CPU usage is not desirable. This didn't necessarily show up on v1.4.4. I do not have STP enabled. This DC switch is just used as a bridge powering two Ubiquiti antennas.

WS-8.JPG

ws-12.JPG

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:52 am

mtngoat wrote:I have a couple WS-8-250-DC which seem to always have higher CPU usage compared to their AC powered counterparts even though traffic is significantly less. On DC units where every watt matters, high CPU usage is not desirable. This didn't necessarily show up on v1.4.4. I do not have STP enabled. This DC switch is just used as a bridge powering two Ubiquiti antennas.

WS-8.JPG

ws-12.JPG

I have explained many times that the CPU your looking at has nothing to do with switch traffic, here are a couple of posts discussing this.
http://forum.netonix.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1993&p=14719&hilit=+cpu+switch+core#p14719
http://forum.netonix.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1633&p=12136&hilit=+cpu+switch+core#p12136

That is because the DC switch CPU is doing more than the AC CPU counterpart.

If it is the WS-12-250-DC it is talking to the power supply CPU and keeping track of all the extra stats you guys wanted like 24 hour input voltage and current graphs.

If it is the WS-8-150-DC that is because there is no secondary power supply CPU and the CPU has to monitor and control the input voltages plus again keep track of all the extra stats you guys wanted like 24 hour input voltage and current graphs.

Plus the DC models are watching input voltages and current and taking appropriate steps in the event input voltage drops like turning off POE ports based on priorities you define to keep the site up.

Well, not much we can do about that, sorry. People keep asking for more and more creature features like graphs and stuff and all this stuff takes CPU clock cycles. However the 10%-20% increase in CPU utilization is less than .25 watts

mtngoat

Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:26 pm

Many thanks for the quick reply. I did a search, but did not find the posts you mentioned.

Good to know the watt usage is minimal. I guess I spent too many years as a computer tech tracking down and stopping things eating the CPU.Image

hasler88

Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:33 pm

sirhc wrote:
hasler88 wrote:Hi Chris

my skype is andrewhasler

Sadly Eric did not report back from vacation today as he was supposed to.
Hopefully tomorrow but please give us a little more lead time then 40 minutes if possible.

Hi Chris

Just wondering when a suitable time for one of your engineers to have a look at this switch

Thanks Andrew

PreviousNext
Return to Hardware and software issues