WS-6-MINI Keeps crashing/rebooting?

DOWNLOAD THE LATEST FIRMWARE HERE
6gnet

Re: WS-6-MINI Keeps crashing/rebooting?

Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:21 am

Travis_WVN wrote:I'm seeing this or a similar error on a WS-6-MINI. I'm sitting in a hotel room putting a bunch of radios together for a workshop later today, and the MINI is only acting as a network switch NOT using it for POE. Powered from the optional barrel-jack power supply.

I can hook 4 devices to it - as soon as I connect #5, the switch goes into a partial reboot cycle over and over until I cut power and remove one of the device cables.

Firmware is the latest version, 1.4.2. Voltage in the status tab does swing pretty significantly with no real loads on it.

Any ideas? In a couple hours I'm supposed to start getting set up to show people how to build private broadband networks, and expecting to promote the Netonix line as the gold standard. Got a bunch of them working fine at my WISP, so this is a surprise :???:

Have you had this mini up on a tower anywhere or is it straight from the box ?

-G

mono2

Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:07 pm

sirhc wrote:When you draw power from another electric service that does not have its Earth Ground bonded to the tower ground system your mounting on you only want the HOT (WHITE) and NEUTRAL (BLACK) wire and then you use the ground from your tower.

CLICK IMAGE TO VIEW FULL SIZE
g.jpg

Here are some good posts on grounding:
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1816
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=188
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1429
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1786&start=30#p13447
https://community.ubnt.com/t5/airFiber/ ... rue#M31070

To be clear you are bonding the tower ground to the earth from the municipal feed in these scenarios?

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:39 pm

mono2 wrote:To be clear you are bonding the tower ground to the earth from the municipal feed in these scenarios?

What, I do not understand?

In a normal WISP situation where you have a TOWER and an equipment box or shed you make sure the electrical service ground rods are bonded to the tower ground rods with a heavy wire like #2.

You NEVER run copper Ethernet cable between locations where each location is on a differnt electrical panel or God forbid an entirely differnt electrical service as the differnt ground potentials will try to equalize across the Ethernet cable - POOF!

Always run "fiber" not copper between network devices on differnt electrical sub-panels and especially differnt electrical services as the devices will all have a differnt ground potential and the worst ground service will try to take the Ethernet cable to the other ground system which is better (less resistance to ground). Keep in mind electrical services are 100 - 400 Amps on average and everything on that service is always shunting excess current to ground and if the ground rods are deteriorated or more resistance to ground exists the ground current will take the Ethernet cable and POOF.

Ground current is the most common source of damage to WISP equipment and they mistakenly think it is surges or ESD. The number 2 cause of damage would be Static Charges building up on tower trying to get to ground and the steel path sucks as it is bolted together pieces often with not good electrical connections not to mention steel is much higher resistance value than copper so the static charge follow the Ethernet cable to ground - POOF.

The 3rd most common cause would be a tie between "real" electrical surges and ESD from near lightning strikes.

People often lose equipment during a storm and all they see is the BOOM and FLASH and thus think "surge" when in fact the rain increased resistance to ground on the electrical service panel ground rods and for a brief moment the newer tower ground rods are a better less resistant path to ground.

I inspect my WISP ground rods every year to make sure they are tight in the ground meaning no erosion as loosened them and I clean up and corrosion and if I ever lose equipment on a tower I add 1 or 2 NEW ground rods a few feet away from existing rods and bond them all together.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

mono2

Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:23 pm

Let me put it like this, lets say I dont know where the electrical service rods are located. I have a tower at the tower earthing wire is run down to ground in a few places, copper rods driven into the ground same is done at the cabinet everything is connected together as suggested.

I have the utility power coming in we have 3 cables live, neutral and earth. Are suggesting the the tower earth system and the utility earth must be bonded?

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:29 pm

I spell out what to do in one of the grounding post links.

A link from this post (at the bottom):
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=188#p483

Points to just this type of situation explained in this post:
http://forum.netonix.com/viewtopic.php? ... =30#p13447
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

Previous
Return to Hardware and software issues