Dropping ports on new WS, what is wrong with my setup?

DOWNLOAD THE LATEST FIRMWARE HERE
torbaytelecom

Re: Dropping ports on new WS, what is wrong with my setup?

Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:40 am

Ok so I swapped the dish over to an AC and it fixed the issue which says the Nanobeam was faulty - However the nanobeam worked absolutely fine being powered by a 260GSP and now works absolutely fine back here in the office using a power injector. This tells me the WS doesnt like the older kit although it's not old as it's a powerbeam and not a powerbridge.

I notice the WS cable test shows Bad Connection when testing a powerbeam or nanobeam but has no issue with a nanobeam AC.

Can you give any more help please

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:48 am

I know that our switch will power all UBNT devices (remember I am a WISP and use all the UBNT devices), however I would bet that the device in question is bad even though you think it works fine with the POE adapter and it will fail in the short future?

Read this POST, especially the questions and answer section at the bottom.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1178&p=8809#p8809

COMMON QUESTIONS:

Question: I see a cross-short, is that bad?

Answer:
YES, never turn POE on any port where you see a cross short as that means 1 wire from one pair is shorted to another wire of another pair which is a DEAD SHORT and will fry the switch port. Cross-Short is about the only real bad situation that will surely fry a port.

Question:
Why do I see abnormal termination when I do a cable diagnostics?

Answer:
Because every manufacturer does not follow the proper design specs so when the device is unpowered it is actually doing the cable test into the device electronics and every device will report differently. They "should" report OK, OK , OK , OK once the device is powered up however some Ethernet surge protectors will always report abnormal termination.

Question: Why do I see short on pairs 3 and 4 on a of devices especially UBNT airMAX 10/100 gear.

Answer:
Because every manufacturer does not follow the proper design specs and use a 4 channel Ethernet Transformer designed for POE with a center tab for each pair. Since pair 3 and 4 is not needed to carry data with 10/100 only links they use them for power only which allows them to use a cheaper 2 channel transformer without a center tap for pairs 1 and 2. They then connect the 2 wires from each pair to the board skipping the need for a transformer with a center tap so the 2 wires from pair 3 are connected directly to the board shorted together for positive and the 2 wires from pair 4 are shorted together directly on the board for negative.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:45 am

torbaytelecom wrote:I notice the WS cable test shows Bad Connection when testing a powerbeam or nanobeam but has no issue with a nanobeam AC.
"Bad" does not describe it. It is not so black and white and so, subject to interpretation. On 100 meg kit, the power pairs 4,5 & 7,8 are expected to be seen as shorts. It is cross-shorts that one needs to be concerned about. If any of those pairs didn't show as shorted, I would be concerned as that suggests a possible open.

A bad crimp can cause a high resistance connection that causes a voltage drop. An overcrimp can fail in one port and pass in another.

jg0007

Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:17 pm

Hi there is something happening 5U arrive are generating many pause frame

I have this scenario Netonix <--> airfiber 5U <--> airfiber 5U <--> Netonix on the port detail check that the airfiber RX has many pause frames

All AC devices and netonix have the flop control disabled, however, these pause frames are generated

The funny thing is that if I connect the airFiber 5U in this other scenario does not generate Pause frames at any end of Netonix

Netonix <-->Netgear Prosafe <--> airfiber 5U <--> airfiber 5U <--> Netonix

Apparently that problem has not yet been fixed
Some solution to this big problem

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:30 am

Netonix has NEVER had a Flow Control bug, AF and AC radios did/do.

Inserting the Netgear switch (which is probably not a managed switch and thus flow control is OFF) then the netgear would drop the packets and the WS would not get pause frame packets.

Pause frame packets are normal is flow control is ON the problem was EXCESSIVE pause frame packets MILLIONS of them in a short period of time.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

tma
Experienced Member

Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:04 pm

sirhc wrote:Netonix has NEVER had a Flow Control bug ...

I'd confirm that Airfibers have a weird FC implementation, but before you say NEVER, please re-read this case.
--
Thomas Giger

Previous
Return to Hardware and software issues